Thursday, November 5, 2015

30 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 5--My New Classroom (still in progress!)

I'm thankful today for my classroom space. Last year at this time, it housed the smallish, saddish NCA library. This past summer, following the construction of our beautiful new library space, the back wall of this room was removed and space was added on the back, and the room was cut in half with a new wall so that the other special education teacher and I at NCA could have adjoining classrooms. It was quite a project this summer, and while it was very behind schedule, I was able to begin teaching in it at the beginning of the school year.

While I still await shelves, bulletin boards, cabinets, and some other finishing touches, I am very thankful to have this flexible space that can be used to meet so many needs at NCA. Normally my room is a fairly quiet, empty space with one or two students (after all, the SOAAR program is based on inclusion, so an empty special education room is a good thing!), but we have moments of business that make me even more thankful for this room! Yesterday, I was working with my two middle school students in my daily "Study Skills Class" while two kindergartners were completing a circuit of sensory activities around my classroom with their assistant, something we just started this week. My preschool student was with his assistant in the back of the classroom, using the SOAAR iPad, when his mom came in to pick him up as his day was ending. A high school student was taking a test in the conference room, needing extra time and a space to focus more easily. 10 people in here at once, for so many different reasons!

Thank you, God, for allowing me to have this space to work and grow and learn and serve at NCA this year!
Come on in!
Two student computers under the one wall decoration I have up so far!

The hammock chair is often in use, and I love my kitchen area


My desk and horseshoe table, where much of my instruction happens each day

I have a bathroom in my classroom!

The "conference room" for meetings and test-taking. . .temporary furniture.

Lots of closet space!

My SOAARing eagle






The most striking feature of the classroom: the mini-trampoline! The kids from all classes want one!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment