Tuesday, November 17, 2015

30 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 17--Enrique

On Tuesday mornings, Enrique is my right-hand man. I lead a group of 20-30 1-13 year olds in Sunday School-like activities (think Bible story, craft, games). With usually only one or two other people helping, this time can be a little chaotic.  I really couldn't do it without Enrique.  Often, he meets me at my car as I drive in and helps me carry all my stuff to our meeting place (a 5x15 foot porch).  He helps me get set up, hands out materials for me, helps me gather all the trash at the end (he always expects a little payment of cookies or candy.  He also is expecting me to get him a cell phone for Christmas--yeah right).  The most helpful thing Enrique does, though, is motivating the others in the group.  If we say, "Let's play Simon Says" and Enrique is on board, then everyone plays enthusiastically.  If Enrique doesn't want to play, no one plays.  When all the other kids scatter, I will yell a few times for them to come, but it isn't until I send Enrique to round them up that they begin to listen. He is not your average 13 year old boy--he gives me hugs, helps the younger kids with their crafts and prompts all the kids word-by-word to help them say the weekly Bible verse.  I am so thankful for his positive presence every Tuesday.
 
 
 
Enrique writing out the Bible verse for the day

 
After helping me put my stuff back in the car, Enrique always rides out with me, hanging on my car.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment