Thursday, August 22, 2013

Teaching Preschool!?

Most of you know that teaching preschool wasn't on my bucket list. I've had teaching experiences now with kindergarteners through super-seniors in high school, but I hadn't ever considered working with those not much higher than my knees. When NCA's positions were posted this past spring, I was a little discouraged. My options were basically preschool or K-12 art (yikes!). Was this a sign that it wasn't a good time or place for us to make this move? Was God trying to tell us something?

We decided that God was telling us to go, and to trust that he'll provide me with the skills and energy needed for a "new" job in a new environment. And it has been a great first two weeks! Not only is the preschool thing new, but so is working in an ELL environment (13/17 kids speak almost purely Spanish), as is working in a Christian school. I am not bored! God is stretching me but also allowing me to use prior experiences in my life to help meet the needs of my students.

For the last nine years, I've taught students with moderate cognitive impairments in public schools, and I was a bit worried that teaching preK would be TOTALLY different, and that I would be unqualified. There are actually many similarities between my young language learners, and my former students with disabilities. They thrive on visuals, routines, repetition, structure, hands-on learning, engagement in learning tasks, social skills practice, life skills practice. These are things I've done for 10 years already! I do have a few children with special education needs, and parents have expressed to me how thankful they are that I've followed God's call to NCA to provide a good education for their children. That has been really affirming!

 I'm also able to use my "experience" as a Children's Worship teacher in my classroom. Rather than "Bible" class, we have a daily "worship" time, structured very much like the CW classes I helped teach at First CRC. The kids LOVE the "basket" for the stories, the routine, and they all already know "Be Still and Know" with the motions to get settled down enough to hear the story. And of course, they can sing "God's Not Dead!" at the top of their lungs! What joy it is to worship and sing and pray with the kids--something I've not had the opportunity to do in the classroom. Today, Lorena, a rather withdrawn and shy girl, asked me multiple times when it would be time for "Biblia." I'm glad it is a highlight of her day!

Parenting is probably the best preschool preparation I've had. When you have lived with a few preschoolers, you kind of know how they operate! And I'm thankful I was able to glean some ideas from Henry and Mae's teachers at Grand Rapids Christian School.

I have a lot to learn, and I'm excited to grow as an "early childhood educator," but I'm so glad God has prepared me for the work He's called me to do, even in unexpected ways.


1 comment:

  1. I consider you’ve created some genuinely exciting points. Not too most people would in reality consider about this the way you simply did. I’m really impressed that there’s a lot about this topic that’s been uncovered and you also did it so tremendously, with a lot class.
    Pre School Franchisee India
    india play school
    play schools in india

    ReplyDelete