Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Ayudame!


It is amazing how things that would be no big deal in the States have the potential to be moments of panic here in a different country.  Yesterday, I went shopping at PriceSmart, which is the Nicaraguan equivalent of Sam’s Club or Costco.  It really does look exactly like it’s counterpart in the States, complete with the food area where you can buy pizza or a hot dog.  Being in this environment, you could even forget you are in a different country.  I was feeling pretty good about my shopping trip (in large part due to the fact that  I  actually found it, which means I made it through 2 of Managua’s crazy rotundas!), but when I got up to the checkout line, I realized that I had lost my membership card somewhere in the store as I was shopping.   Suddenly, it became VERY apparent to me that I was in a different country.  How was I going to explain this to the check-out person with my limited Spanish? I thought about all the words I would need to know to navigate the problem, proceeded to panic and very seriously considered abandoning my cart and just walking out of the store.  In a wonderful and blessed turn of events, I ran into another missionary that I knew and was able to use her card to check out with my groceries, although I did make myself go to the front desk and ask what to do (it wasn’t until later that I remembered that Andrew and I had just learned the word for “to turn in,” as in “did someone turn in my card? Oh well.  Next time.) As I reflect on this situation, I realize that I am very accustomed to feeling competent and self-reliant.  Being in situations where I feel helpless in a rare thing for me, and let me tell you, it is humbling!  I know that God is using these experiences to challenge me and to grow me into a person who puts my faith not in myself, but it Him, and I am thankful. 

Please continue to pray for our family as we attempt to better our Spanish so that we can more fully take part in the world around us. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Ruth! We're spoiled to read these stories on the resolved end, but I can only imagine what's happening in your spirit while you're in the middle of it(though you're letting us in on that too)! Thanks for testifying to God's provision in ways that we all experience but don't often name unless we're in an unfamiliar context like you are. Love you! (Rachel K)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so so so much relate to you about how humbling it is to be here in Nica. When you're accustomed to "taking charge" or being independent, it can be a struggle to rely on others for information, strength, help and encouragement. I have always struggled with this, and it's so nice to know, because of your transparency, that I am not alone with the new found challenge. Great post, Ruth! And I had a great time at lunch with you and Celia!!!

    ReplyDelete