Sunday, October 29, 2017

First accident in Nicaragua

One of our worst fears living in Nicaragua was realized today. We were heading down from our house to the school on the backroad affectionately known as the "cow trail," a narrow road paved with blocks that weaves through a few small neighborhoods before spitting you out on the highway near the school. Yes, sometimes there are cows on the road. Always dogs, lots of pedestrians, cars, bikes, motorcycles, chickens, horses, the local lady that likely has untreated schizophrenia that likes to occasionally hit cars with a stick she always carries. Ruth was heading to the school to play ultimate frisbee (a Sunday afternoon tradition that I've recently abandoned), and I was heading to work in my classroom (a Sunday afternoon tradition that I've recently adopted). Our kids were going to run around and play with friends on the school campus.

The kids and I were singing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" acapella for some reason as I was going around a corner, and suddenly a motorcycle carrying a driver and a passenger came around the curve heading the opposite direction in the middle of the already-narrow road. I swerved to the right, and he swerved to his right. . .but there was still a loud thud and scrape as he slid along the driver side of the van. I stopped the van as quickly as I could, and while braking watched the motorcycle swerving and tilting crazily in my rearview mirror. . but he managed to stay upright and stop. I may have said a bad word or two.

I ran out to make sure he and the passenger were okay. They both were limping a bit, and one of them was nursing his hand and wrist. The passenger had been carrying his helmet in his hand by his leg, which was now on the ground completely smashed into bits. It is a law to wear helmets while on a motorcycles here (both drivers and passengers) but many folks just carry them instead. The helmet obviously had created a barrier between the car and the motorcycle (and did the damage to our car), and I believe it helped protect us both from more harm. If they had fallen it would probably be a different story. . .

You can see the scrape marks; I think they are all from the helmet.

The helmet that (thankfully) was not on the head, but near his leg

Hubcap cover thing a little damaged, too, probably from the footpegs of the motorcycle.

Praising God for this kind of "body damage" and not the other "body damage"

We talked a bit and I asked if they were okay, and the men hinted that they didn't want to call the police. They did want money and I felt like he and his passenger were trying to figure out the best route of action that they should take in this situation. I could smell alcohol on the driver's' breath. I asked him if he had been drinking, which I suppose is a silly question to ask if you want an honest answer. I decided to call the lawyer I have on speed dial (I never had called him before, but it is basically protocol here in the event of an accident. It is also the rule NOT to move your vehicle in case of an accident even if you are blocking traffic).

Many people from the houses along the road came out to watch, talk, and give their input. . . probably around 30 or so people were all around. A few folks told us that they knew the men, and said they saw everything and it was certainly the motorcycle who was at fault. If we hadn't swerved, they said, they would've been killed. (I shudder to think about that. Like physically shudder). As I hung up with the lawyer, who said he would be on his way, Ruth told me that the motorcycle driver and passenger had hopped on their bike and had taken off. I called the lawyer back, who recommended just leaving at this point if no one was injured and if the damage to our car wasn't too serious.

So we drove away. Shaken. A little scared. And SO thankful. Thankful that the men were okay enough to flee the scene. Thankful that I'm not in jail (protocol for any accident that involves an injury). Thankful for witnesses who were ready to speak truth. Thankful for God's protection today and everyday. One inch would've been a different outcome. . .one second, a different story, too. . .God is in those inches and seconds and today we praise God for his protection.

3 comments:

  1. We're SO glad and grateful you are all okay! Even having had an accident, motorcycles here are still my biggest fear. Praise Jesus that it wasn't worse for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is in those inches and seconds indeed. Thank God no one was seriously injured!! I was also in an accident recently. I understand the shaken feeling and the temptation to say some "bad words!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is in those inches and seconds indeed. Thank God no one was seriously injured!! I was also in an accident recently. I understand the shaken feeling and the temptation to say some "bad words!"

    ReplyDelete