Monday, May 4, 2015

Happy Un-Birthday!

 I forgot Oliver's birthday! I had been reminded the week prior, but when I arrived at Tesoros de Dios and saw Oliver on that particular Thursday, I realized that I had no planned way to celebrate Oliver's life other than a spur-of-the-moment "Feliz Cumpleanos!" I asked Oliver how he had celebrated his birthday today. He shook his head "no." Well, I asked him, are you going to have a party or special dinner tonight to celebrate? Another "no." I'm not sure if I understood him correctly, but it made me a little sad and motivated me to pull off at least a small celebration of another year of life for Oliver.

I promised Oliver that I'd find a way to celebrate his life the FOLLOWING week, and decided that we might as well have one gigantic fiesta for ALL of my Tesoros students, as I'm likely to forget their individual birthdays as well. So we wore hats and sang songs and popped balloons and laughed hard and decorated cupcakes together. There is a lot of life worth celebrating at Tesoros de Dios! Happy Un-Birthday to all of my awesome friends at Tesoros!

















No comments:

Post a Comment