Wednesday, February 5, 2014

One cog in the wheel. . .

I am teaching preschool at Nicaragua Christian Academy International. A little known secret that some of you may or may not know: teaching at a school for missionary kids and for nationals able to afford quality Christian education in a developing country wasn't ever really my dream. . .I always wanted to do the "real" work of educating and equipping the poor, the destitute, the kids with disabilities that have zero access to services and no hope for a brighter future. And those kids aren't really present in our school. We serve a different clientele altogether. Yet, we are here. . .and now that we're here, I'm finding out first-hand the important role that a school like NCA International plays within this community.

Post-"calling" to NCA International--and I really did/do feel called to this school--I'm finding that I am truly excited to work and serve in this organization for a variety of reasons. One reason, of course, is to teach and plant seeds within the 12 Nicaraguan kids in my classroom. These kids are the future leaders of Nicaragua. By the time they graduate from NCA 12 or 13 years from now, they will be bilingual. They will have received a really good education, enabling them to continue on at college or university here in Nicaragua or abroad. And most importantly, they will be rooted in the love of Jesus, and equipped to sow seeds and bear fruit wherever God calls them in life--my prayer would be that many would remain in Nicaragua as transformational leaders in government, business, the church, and education.

I'm grateful for my role as teacher of the 7 missionary kids in my classroom, too--for the same reasons listed above, but also because of the role I play in allowing their families to live and serve in Nicaragua. Without a place to educate their children, many families would not be able to serve in Managua. Home-schooling and local public schools are not viable options are all families. So while I still don't always feel that I'm "on the field" or "in the trenches" of Nicaragua, I'm finding vicarious joy in supporting the work of the missionary parents of my students! Check out some of the ministries represented in my classroom:

Beckett's dad teaches high school social studies here at NCA and his mom supports families that come to Nicaragua to adopt. Micah's dad and mom have planted a few churches in Nicaragua, and his dad currently shepherds a vibrant faith community in Managua. Sadie's parents operate a feeding center, an orphanage, relief and development work through an organization called "New Life Nicaragua." Katherine's mom teaches 3-year old preschool here at NCA (my school neighbor!) and her dad teaches music lessons and music at an area Christian school. . .he's an amazing classical pianist, too! I appreciate his vision for music education in the schools. Lucas's dad directs the Nicaragua Christian Academy Association, providing support to and building bridges between all NCA schools, especially those that serve Spanish-speaking lower-middle class students (NCA Nejapa and NCA Matagalpa). Ruth's parents work with the Vineyard church and are working on providing a place for teams to learn and serve here in Managua. Mae's dad is. . .oh yeah. . .me. You know what I do!

(As a disclaimer, this was NOT a complete list of ministries represented in my classroom, by any means. . .I don't even know all of the ministries that my parents/spouses are involved in. . .this is just a glimpse! Know, too, that many of my Nicaraguan parents are also involved in local ministries, even if they aren't technically "missionaries" here!)

So know that as you support my work at NCA, you are directly supporting the many, many ministries represented by the families within my classroom! So even if I'm not working with the poorest of the poor, I'm connected to the poor through the mission and vision of at least 6 other families living and working in Nicaragua as missionaries. Even if I'm not working directly with those marginalized by the education system of Nicaragua, I'm connected to them on another level. And even if I'm not serving the orphans, the hungry, the widows on a daily basis with my own two hands, I'm serving those that are serving those folks through many incredible Christ-centered ministries. And actually, so are you! Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment