Tuesday, October 15, 2013

God's Treasures

On Tuesday afternoons at 3:00 on the dot, I jump in our trusty red minivan and head out from NCA up the hill a few minutes to reach a ministry called Tesoros de Dios. From their website (tesorosdedios.org):

Tesoros de Dios, translated as "God's Treasures," is a ministry in Managua, Nicaragua, that serves over 80 children with a variety of developmental disabilities such as Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, Hydrocephaly, Autism, Brain Damage, and others. Through programs offered and family support, the center provides tools to help the children reach their fullest potential physically, intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually


Honestly, Tesoros de Dios is how we ended up in Managua. Through some Google searching, we came across this Christian organization that works with kids with disabilities--a passion of mine that has been my vocation for the past 9 years. The director, Michelle, is the one who told me about Nicaragua Christian Academy, as I don't have the Spanish-speaking skills to work primarily with Spanish-speaking kids at their organization. I emailed NCA and the rest is history. . .

So, while teaching preschool NCA is my full-time job (which I love!), I've committed to spending one afternoon a week at Tesoros de Dios to continue work with persons with disabilities. The kids who are there rotate through a variety of therapies (including horse and physical therapy) and Special Education programs. Parents have to attend Tesoros with their children, so that they can learn interventions and techniques to use at home. I've been working with a few kids with disabilities who attend NCA Nejapa (our Spanish-speaking "sister" school--inclusion is quite a radical thing for Nicaragua), who need some extra support especially with their English homework. (I'm qualified for that job, at least!) Kevin and David have been gracious and are helping me with my Spanish at the same time.
Pictures of Tesoros de Dios from their website, tesorosdedios.org. I haven't taken any pictures there yet!

Being at Tesoros is a weekly reminder about the importance of the ministry of "being"--something I'm not great at. I like to do stuff and contribute and see quick progress, and I want to offer my services and expertise and education to help people here in Nicaragua. I want to be needed. But as of now, the biggest thing I'm doing at Tesoros de Dios is just showing up. I stumble through conversations and smile and nod a lot when I'm being spoken too and honestly, the kids would get their homework done with or without me. . but I'm.trusting that God has a plan for me at Tesoros. And the plan might be just being, learning from those with disabilities who have always been the best "teachers of life" to me.
 
I'm sure I'll have more stories about Tesoros to share with you in the future. . .it is a great organization worth learning more about, filling a huge void in Nicaragua in terms of providing services for kids and families who need it most!

No comments:

Post a Comment