Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Keys


We leave for Nicaragua in one week! Had shots today at the Kent County Health Department--9 between Andrew, Ruth, Henry, and Mae. Poor Mae had five. Our house is MOSTLY empty. . .our goal is to be out by Thursday, but I think we'll beat the deadline by a day. We actually moved over to Ruth’s parents house last night, simply because of the weather. I think God is giving us a small taste of Nicaraguan heat and humidity before we leave here in Grand Rapids. Actually, the last few times I’ve checked, Managua is cooler than Grand Rapids by a few degrees! We are enjoying the frigid temperatures of the Arrowsmith household now. . .which makes it harder to head back over to 707 Union Ave and finish packing up.

Soon we’ll be handing over the keys of our house to the new owners! My key chain, normally bursting and heavy, has been steadily dwindling over the last few months. Keys are sort of status symbol; seems like the most important people carry the most keys. Now I've turned in school keys. Need to turn in church keys. The van keys drove off to New Mexico with my brother last weekend. We will travel to Nicaragua with absolutely no keys. When is the last time I haven’t owned something that needed to be locked up or turned on with a key? Not sure. It is a strange, sort-of-free feeling. But I’ll admit to a little anxiety as well without the familiar weight of those metal comfort objects.

I know we’ll be acquiring keys very quickly upon arrival. . . a new house, car, classroom. . .but in this moment, it’s good to remind myself that nothing here is forever. The “keys of the Kingdom” in Matthew 16:19 are forever, and without those metal keys in the way, maybe we are better poised to serve with open hands and open hearts.

Andrew

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you all today as you embark upon your journey! Blessings to you and may the trip go smoothly and be evident of God's hand in the journey.

    ReplyDelete